There are many podcasts available revolving around the topic of food, and we're happy to connect you to what's out there.
We'll be updating this page on an on-going basis to make sure the links are current and to add new sections. Feel free to make suggestions in the comments, we love to hear about what is out there!
10 Stars - the crème de la crème
These five podcasts are our absolute favourites (in alphabetical order). These are the ones that you will want to catch up on every back episode and not skip past when they're playing. Well-researched, well-presented, and focusing on a variety of topics, from history, to science, to current events in the food world, these ones have consistently great guests, great hosts, and great production quality.
Best thing, these all are downloadable in MP3 format (in addition to whichever app they use locally).
- BBC Food Programme (Mondays): http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006qnx3/episodes/downloads
- Gastropod (every second Tuesday): https://gastropod.com/
- Milk Street Radio (Saturdays):http://www.177milkstreet.com/radio
- Splendid Table (weekly): https://www.splendidtable.org/
- A Taste of the Past (Wednesdays): http://heritageradionetwork.org/series/a-taste-of-the-past/
We also love:
Here are more podcasts that you can enjoy for their wide variety of focuses. Some of these don't have a downloadable version, though, or if they do, it is in a format that will require you to use a specific application to listen, but they are still good when you are at your desk or are at home with a stable connection.
- All in the Industry (Wednesdays): http://heritageradionetwork.org/series/all-in-the-industry/
Much as it says in the name, this series is about the behind the scenes. A little PR-heavy at times (the host is a PR person), it's still a great source for discovering trends and what's new out there.
- BBC The Kitchen Cabinet (Tuesdays -- they appear to be on hiatus at the moment): http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01klvhq
This is here because we had to cut the Top 5 off at five. This one also boasts BBC quality, but the episodes are only available for 30 days -- so go check it out asap!
- Bite by Mother Jones: http://www.motherjones.com/category/secondary-tags/bite
Okay, at this rate our Top 5 is going to have to be a Top 10. This is another solid entry to your Must Download list with topics ranging from chocolate to obesity, and of course, because it is Mother Jones, it has a very political bent.
- Cooking Issues (Tuesdays): http://heritageradionetwork.org/series/cooking-issues/
Once you get past the manic opening, this series is wildly informative, and especially appealing for food geeks.
- Food Talk (Thursdays): http://heritageradionetwork.org/series/food-talk-with-mike-colameco/
Another narrow miss for the Top 5, this series is great for the knowledgeable host and fascinating guest that focus mainly on the NYC scene.
- The Sporkful: http://www.sporkful.com/
Branding itself as for eaters not foodies, this show is informative, political, and a deep dive into the world of food.
Again, we invite you to share your favourites with us in the comments!